Monday, April 24, 2023

Kraken' The Lineup...

Jamie Oleksiak
2021-22 Upper Deck #685
My first card featuring a member of the newly formed Seattle Kraken.

Pulled from a re-pack - I now have FOUR cards from the 2021-22 Upper Deck set.

Still unsure whether I like the set design.
Looks rather similar to the previous years' design.

Been away from the hobby for the past few seasons, so the new sets all look the same to me. (The overall layout even looks a bit similar to 1994-95 Upper Deck)

Almost did a double take when I looked at the card number - The last UD set that I can remember having this many cards was  1991-92 Upper Deck (700 cards).


In addition to the standard Series 1 (released March 2022) and Series 2 (released June 2022), Upper Deck issued an "Extended Series" in August 2022 featuring card numbers 501-700.

This is the second consecutive year for the "Extended Series" (just learning that 2020-21 Upper Deck had 730 cards).

Apparently the 2021-22 Upper Deck set contains a total of 750!
Yet another set that I definitely won't be finishing.







Jamie Oleksiak
2021-22 Upper Deck #685
(card back)

Taking a moment to appreciate the back - Mostly because this is the first time I've really had a chance to examine the Seattle Kracken logo and uniform.


This "Extended Series" really baffles me. Sure, there are traded players (Dzingel, Foligno and Yandle) pictured with their new teams. The Seattle Kraken first appear in cards 627-631. Remainder of the team can be found in numbers 679 thru 698.

Still glad to find it - But it's kinda sad that this card was stuffed into a re-pack less than six months after it was released.

I'm obsessed with hockey - But after the Stanley Cup Champions are crowned, it's fishin' season - And I couldn't give a rat's ass about newly released hockey card sets. (That's what winter is for!)

No comments:

Post a Comment