(200 cards: 501-700)Recently picked up the Upper Deck "High Series" from 1991-92.
Having never purchased a "factory set" before, I wasn't sure what to expect.
Figured the cards would be in order, and they were.
One stack, split in two, checklist in the middle, cards all facing inwards towards the middle, numbers towards the outside.
Includes a few players from the "largest trade" in NHL history... The ten-man deal on January 2, 1992 that sent Doug Gilmour to Toronto. (The only set I know of that features all 10 players with their new teams is 1992-93 O-Pee-Chee.)
![]() |
| (1991-92 Upper Deck #528 Gary Leeman, #609 Alexander Godynyuk, #558 Doug Gilmour) |
As I filed the cards into their permanent home inside a binder, I scanned some of my favorites:
![]() |
| Jarmo Myllys (1991-92 Upper Deck #537) |
From the looks of it, he's not 100% sure where the puck is, but it's still a cool photo.
The brand new San Jose Sharks logo shows up prominently on his jersey, while
a Blues player hungrily buzzes around the net, looking for a rebound....
Back of the card is also dramatic, with both players appearing to track an airborne puck.
The brand new San Jose Sharks logo shows up prominently on his jersey, while
a Blues player hungrily buzzes around the net, looking for a rebound....
Back of the card is also dramatic, with both players appearing to track an airborne puck.
![]() |
| Scott Stevens (1991-92 Upper Deck #539) |
Among the recently traded players, is Scott Stevens with New Jersey.
Almost looks like he's getting punched in the face...
It's unwise to provoke Scott Stevens.
It's just so weird seeing him in a NJD uniform without a "C" on his jersey.
Almost looks like he's getting punched in the face...
It's unwise to provoke Scott Stevens.
It's just so weird seeing him in a NJD uniform without a "C" on his jersey.
![]() |
| Mark Messier (1991-92 Upper Deck #545) |
Messier, now with New York.
Great slapshot photo full of intensity.
The power of Pepsi, no doubt.
The power of Pepsi, no doubt.
![]() |
| Rod Brind'Amour (1991-92 Upper Deck #547) |
Flying through the air, looks as if he's just had his legs taken out from under him.
A young Darryl Sydor...
I tend to think of him as wearing either 5 or 55, but here he is wearing number 40.
Every championship team needs unsung defencemen like Darryl Sydor. He appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals on four separate occasions, and was on the winning side twice.
![]() |
| Darryl Sydor (1991-92 Upper Deck #549) |
I tend to think of him as wearing either 5 or 55, but here he is wearing number 40.
Every championship team needs unsung defencemen like Darryl Sydor. He appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals on four separate occasions, and was on the winning side twice.
![]() |
| Grant Fuhr (1991-92 Upper Deck #553) |
Grant Fuhr Makes a save as a Maple Leaf.
Note the shiny, glassy ice in front of him.
Note the shiny, glassy ice in front of him.
![]() |
| Pat Lafontaine (1991-92 Upper Deck #556) |
I just noticed that Pat Lafontaine looks a bit like Danny Briere...
Kinda like the simplicity of Tom Draper's mask...
Even though it obviously doesn't match the Sabres' colors.
I believe this is what he wore with the Winnipeg Jets.
From this angle, it reminds me of Ken Dryden's painted mask...
Not sure if it's a stretch or a save...
A flyer leg is visible, facing away... And a player stick is near the butt of Roussel's goal stick.
Even though it obviously doesn't match the Sabres' colors.
I believe this is what he wore with the Winnipeg Jets.
From this angle, it reminds me of Ken Dryden's painted mask...
![]() |
| Dominic Roussel (1991-92 Upper Deck #583) |
A flyer leg is visible, facing away... And a player stick is near the butt of Roussel's goal stick.
![]() |
| Craig Billington RC (1991-92 Upper Deck #559) |
Great profile picture of Devils' goaltender Craig Billington.
![]() |
| Rollie Melanson (1991-92 Upper Deck #575) |
Before "Ollie the Goalie", there was Rollie the Goalie...
I'm sure he probably hated being called that.
My first thought when I saw the photo was that's a tall goaltender...
But apparently he's only 5'10.
I'm sure he probably hated being called that.
My first thought when I saw the photo was that's a tall goaltender...
But apparently he's only 5'10.
![]() |
| Nicklas Lidstrom CL (1991-92 Upper Deck #584) |
This is actually the Young Guns checklist card...
Great portrait of a young Nicklas Lidstrom.
Great portrait of a young Nicklas Lidstrom.
![]() |
| Jeff Odgers (1991-92 Upper Deck #597) |
Action in front of the net...
With another well-placed Sharks logo.
Now this is an All-Star lineup...
Gretzky, Hull and Robitaille played on a line together in the 1991 All-Star Game.
Had considered leaving proper spacing in the binder for series one, if I'm lucky enough to obtain it...
But decided to keep these 200 cards in a small binder, with card 501 in the first slot. I'm glad I did, because this is exactly how these three cards ended up, all together in the same row.
With another well-placed Sharks logo.
Now this is an All-Star lineup...
Gretzky, Hull and Robitaille played on a line together in the 1991 All-Star Game.
![]() |
| (1991-92 Upper Deck #621 Wayne Gretzky, #622 Brett Hull, #623 Luc Robitaille) |
But decided to keep these 200 cards in a small binder, with card 501 in the first slot. I'm glad I did, because this is exactly how these three cards ended up, all together in the same row.

















No comments:
Post a Comment