Monday, February 17, 2020

2007-08 Upper Deck (Series I & II)

Thomas Vanek
2007-08 Upper Deck #135
It's always more fun to slowly collect a set over time, than to obtain it all in one fell swoop... (But it's also cheaper to buy a set than to build it)

In this case, I picked up 2007-08 Upper Deck Series I last year, and happened to score Series II this year. I really like this set. The design is ridiculously simple. So neat & clean.

It's also the third year for Crosby & Ovechkin. The Caps in Series I are still wearing their black, blue & gold uniforms, but there are photos of the more traditional red, white & blue uniforms in Series II, where Ovechkin can be found. (Also noticed that Joe Sakic and Rick Nash have cards in both Series I & II)

The only thing I dislike (besides the ugly "Buffaslug" uniforms) is the shiny foil player names are annoying to read (as usual).




Joe Sakic
2007-08 Upper Deck #54
After collecting all the base cards from a set, I like to pick out a few favorites. In most cases, it has more to do with an awesome photograph than the actual player(s) depicted.

The set is full of colorful action snapshots, but this one stands out because it's different... A bird's eye view of legendary Joe Sakic, in alone against Dwayne Roloson (who helped Edmonton reach the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006). The card looks just as good when flipped vertically (as it's displayed in the binder).









Sean Avery
2007-08 Upper Deck #118
Never thought I'd pick an Avery card among my favorites... This card features a great snapshot of memorable characters Sean Avery and Martin Brodeur, who got entangled with each other in the 2008 playoffs (after the release of this card). The NHL made a very specific change to the rulebook (aka the Sean Avery rule) with regards to using the hands or stick to interfere or distract the opposing goaltender.

In 2005, the NHL had also put restrictions on goaltenders playing the puck behind the goal line, limiting them to the "trapezoid" behind the net. (aka the Martin Brodeur rule).


No comments:

Post a Comment